Media. It’s one of those words that is now used so often by so many types of marketing and advertising companies, that its meaning has become murky. A media agency can be anything from a web development company to a platform like Facebook to a digital marketing company to an old-fashioned print magazine. For our purposes, we’ll define media as the main means of mass communication — broadcasting, publishing, radio, billboards and the internet, to name a few — regarded collectively. In other words, media includes all of the various platforms and channels you might use to present your message in an advertising campaign.
What is Media Planning + Buying?
Media planning is the process of researching and recommending the best platforms to deliver your brand’s advertising message. Media buying is the execution of that plan. It’s what we do. At Richardson Media Group, we plan and implement your advertising campaign so you can reach your target audience and achieve your marketing objectives. It may sound simple, but an effective advertising campaign requires a solid understanding of your business, your goals, your audience and the ever-changing media landscape.
Now that you know the what, it’s time to get a better understanding of the how. In our newly released SlideShare presentation, we map out the five steps that go into developing and implementing a paid media advertising campaign. Here’s a brief outline:
- Ask Questions. We start the media planning process by asking a series of carefully crafted questions that help us learn key facts about your brand and your marketing goals;
- Evaluate Media Tactics. Determining the right combination of tactics requires a clear understanding of how each media vehicle works;
- Negotiate the Buy. Making sure you get the best price and the best placement;
- Present the Plan. Bringing the media recommendations together; and
- Implement the Media Buy. Trafficking ad creative and launching the campaign.
For more details about the media planning and buying process, take a look at our SlideShare presentation:
And if you’re thinking about launching an advertising campaign, get in touch. We’d be happy to guide you through the process step-by-step.