A simple guide to creating a content marketing strategy, editorial calendar, and promotion plan.
As a strategic media planning and buying agency, we work with brands to raise awareness and generate leads. As a part of that effort, we often provide content support for our clients. Sometimes this comes in the form of writing copy for websites, landing pages, and ads. Other times, it is a more robust effort to launch or support a content marketing initiative.
Content marketing is a long-term strategy and it can take a while before you see noticeable results. Over time, content marketing builds brand awareness, generates targeted leads, and improves your SEO. When you pair content marketing with advertising, you leverage the power of both tactics, improving your short- and long-term results as well as the return on your investment. These complementary tactics work very well together.
What is content marketing?
Content marketing is a marketing strategy. It is focused on the creation and distribution of valuable content with the purpose of attracting and retaining a specific, targeted audience. It builds interest in your brand and develops relationships and trust with your audience.
But understanding what content marketing is doesn’t necessarily help you launch a content marketing effort. In our latest resource, we map out the six steps you can take to launch a content marketing initiative. Here’s a brief outline:
- Goals + KPIs. Your goals — and how you measure success — are critical to defining your content marketing strategy.
- Research. Who are your audiences? What do they need? How can content help them achieve their goals?
- Content Audit. What content have you already created? What purpose does it serve? How can you leverage that content to meet your goals?
- Content Strategy. Outline your goals, value propositions, audience personas, brand guidelines, and strategies for each type of content you create.
- Editorial Calendar. How often will you create content? Where will it be published? How will it be used?
- Promotion Plan. How will you promote your content?
For more details about how to launch a content marketing initiative, take a look at our presentation.